Friday, July 6, 2012

Practice what you preach?

So...this past week I am discovering how addicting an iPad can be...particularly when you are at home most of the day. In my profession and as a mom I talk about limiting time on technology...the dangers of Facebook, etc. And now here I am spending my spare time on facebook and checking out Pinterest what seems like constantly! I knew when I had told Aidan to get off his Wii followed by "you've had enough technology today!" and his response was " how come you get to be on your iPad all the time?" that I had crossed over into the addicting world of technology that I swore would not happen. I would like to think that when the newness wears off that I won't feel like I am consumed by this iPad. BUT, it is absolutely amazing the things I am learning and seeing. Aidan can still figure out a game before me, but I am okay with that and he loves to tell me I am wrong...much like his dad!

3 comments:

  1. Years ago I saw an ad in Wired Magazine addressing the new etiquettes around smart phones and how more and more practices that would have been considered breaches of etiquette years ago were becoming mainstream. One of the many things I remember about an article, was a comment around how it was not okay to use it to exclude present company (like bury yourself into a book, or text others and ignore present company), while it was okay to expand the circle of present company to include others or other information. If you are texting a friend about something you are discussing together -"Let me check with so and so" or if you are looking something up online that relates to current conversation and it actually expands the conversation. But this is certainly a complex and evolving process that has an impact on society and on ourselves as individuals. Some people have more addictive personalities than others when it comes to screens or "pings" that new mail or facebook messages have come in. But the same was true for TV. Some people can ignore TV that is on in a room, others can't walk by a TV without it grabbing and consuming them. Some can get lost in a book and ignore present company, others --not so much. Yet we have different values associated with time spent around books. My husband and I were at the Flynn once and got there early to get good seats to an open admission event. He was reading a book on his phone. The woman next to us glared at him and as soon as it got close to show time, she snarled at him to put that away. Not sure she would have done the same with a book. Lots of questions. Lots of changes. Are some of the questions really new questions or the same questions re: different tools. I think there are some 'new' questions. Lots to figure out. As with every century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My keypad has been giving me problems and I can't make corrections so I cancelled a reply I had messed up.

      What I was going to say to Lucie was, that's so true! And very funny, the glaring woman at the Flynn!

      Delete