Thursday, July 12, 2012

Module 2 Reflection

It was very interesting to listen to Dan Pink regarding motivation and not be thinking about students. It is very common when we have a student who is not motivated to learn that we/staff brainstorm what we could "give them" in return for their good behavior (such as completing homework assignments). What happens many times is that their is no reward that seems to motivate that student. Would it then be true as Pink states that for those students it's more about learning that is self-directed, fun and satisfying and their is a purpose for the learning we are asking the student to do? I feel these factors certainly apply to learning as well. If, for example, we have a student that does not like to write. If the teacher can give them some autonomy in choosing the topic and/or way in which they will produce the work, etc. then the student may be more invested and motivated. Look at the students who through independent study produce amazing work!
In regards to note-taking and mind mapping on the iPad, I have found some positives and a negative. The only negative to note-taking that I found was the typing. I am not a fast typer on the iPad keyboard... More of a hen pecker! What I liked is all the different tools at my fingertips to use as I am writing notes. I do need to work at being a bit more concise with my notes, but I have always written a lot whenever doing this task. The mind mapping was a great way for me to "show" what I learned and I found it much easier to be concise with what I felt were the key ideas to remember. I had to stop myself from not going back repeatedly to make it "pretty". Sometimes having too many tools/options can be a distraction if you will. What was really cool is how the app organized your ideas into an outline based on how you created your map!
Overall, I have found the iPad to be like a leather man tool. When Marzano talked about instructional strategies he stated that their is not one strategy that will work for every situation. It's figuring out what works for you and the task at hand. This idea made me relate it to a leather man...different tools to use but each tool doesn't work for every situation. I like that the iPad has many tools to use...but it will not always be the instructional tool to use in every situation.

5 comments:

  1. I like your map showing the key ideas that really matter.
    also liked the analogy to the leather man tool....looks like higher level thinking going on.

    DLG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      On rare occasions a light bulb goes off in my head...I emphasize the word rare! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Hey Melissa
    I Always appreciate your balanced view on things. Adding thoughts on punishment makes a lot of sense....how did you get your mind map in the right place ? I am struggle long with this step....you do not have to answer that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      After I typed a few comments in my blog, I hit save. When you go back to it, in the bottom left hand corner is the option to add a pic. If you click this and select the pic of your mind map ( that you saved to your iPad camera roll) it should then automatically appear at the bottom of your blog. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the technical part of this challenge (the picture, mindmap, and blog. But more importantly, great job on the reflection. About speed and 'fluency' with the ipad - I found today that I was able to answer quickly in a multi-modal ways (grabbing and markup screen cast was so quick and easy with the ipad), but long text is still faster with a computer keyboard. Because I type over 100 wpm, I find that tools that can help me process faster (i.e. computer keyboard) help me think for fluidly.
    I wonder if that will change for us.

    ReplyDelete